SIU-Creighton: The Rivalry Renewed

NCAA Second Round - Southern Illinois v Virginia Tech
Duke-Carolina happened earlier in the week and blah blah blah blah blah. Dickie V loved it. Mike Patrick loved it.

I loved it when North Carolina's senior class picked up its fourth straight win on Coach K's court, becoming the Kings of Cameron in the process.

But let's move on to a rivalry I hold a little closer to my heart: SIU-Creighton.

It's been on the television package each of the last six years, so it is starting to get a little bit more national exposure, which is a nice thing for this hate fest. Last year, ESPN's College GameDay (along with Erin Andrews) came to the SIU Arena becoming the first "mid-major" to get that distinction.

But this year is going to be different.

Throw the records out. I know it's an old adage, but it is one that fits for this series. This game is all about emotion and using those emotions in a positive manner.

I will learn that today.

Because for the first time since I have been at SIU, I will take in the game from press row. That means no cheering, no chanting and no heckling. I've turned in my Dawg Pound card for a press credential, and while that's kind of sad for the fan in me, I'm going to still find a way to enjoy this rivalry game.

The Salukis look ready for redemption, not only from that 26-point loss at Northern Iowa, but the one-point overtime loss they suffered at the Qwest Center.

I've got a few hours to prepare for the big game and I will take advantage of them by going back to bed.

P.S. Happy Valentine's Day!

0 comments: