Players on my favorite teams need to stop getting hurt

BKC: North Carolina vs Nevada/Reno
It's been well documented in this region of the sports world that Southern Illinois point guard Bryan Mullins is out indefinitely after suffering a stress fracture in his right foot.

Sad.

And while the loss of Mullins seriously dampers a basketball team that overcame defections, started slowly, overcame mid-season defections, got back to .500 in Missouri Valley Conference play, it isn't the end of the world.

You should have read the eulogies that were written over a busted foot.

And look, everyone knows I like Bryan Mullins. I liked him when I was a fan cheering, chanting and heckling the opposition in the Dawg Pound. I like him even more as an interview because not only is he a great quote, he's pretty insightful about the team, his teammates and college basketball.

If there's one knock on Mullins that I have, it's that he didn't teach Kevin Dillard how to conduct a perfect snowball sneak attack on an assistant coach.

(Long Story)

So moving away from Mullins as I take you back to the bar last night when I found out via the ESPN crawl that North Carolina guard/defensive stopper Marcus Ginyard is going to be out for the season with an injury of his own.

The Tar Heels' best man-to-man defender will redshirt, but will desperately be missed this season as UNC strives to earn a national championship.

Seriously, guys, stop getting hurt.

My fandom will be a lot happier in the end.

0 comments: