Explaining My North Carolina Homerism

Duke v North Carolina
Do you want to know why I love the University of North Carolina's men's basketball team?

Blame Ray Clay.

The former Chicago Bulls public address announcer (who currently works for the UIC Flames) had one of the most distinctive PA voices growing up in Chicago. And it was his pregame introductions that drove chills down my spine.



And that's where it all began. My favorite player on my favorite childhood team.

But then, it goes back, even further.

As an avid ESPN Classic fan, I loved those old school Dean Smith Tar Heel teams. Smith is arguably the best college coach in the history of the game. His offense forced the NCAA to institute the shot clock. That's game changing.

Then, look at the talent ... beyond Jordan.
  • James Worthy, Sam Perkins, Charlie Scott (the Jackie Robinson of the ACC), Larry Brown, Vince Carter, Antawn Jamison, Vince Carter, Rasheed Wallace, Jerry Stackhouse, George Karl, Julius Peppers (yes, that Julius Pepper)...
And the beat goes on.

MJ is right: Duke might be a great college basketball team, but if you want to go pro, you wear Carolina Blue.

Then there's the fact that they were on TV every weekend. They were the college hoops game of the week every week. At least, that's what it seemed like. And they won, a lot.

Oh, yeah, the most important part: the marketing.

Because Jordan King of the Tar Heels was the face of Chicago, there was lots of product movement in the city when it came to UNC gear. Starter jackets, jerseys, shorts, hats, shoes ... I had it all. So much, that for Christmas, my mom always gets me some sort of Carolina gear.

The first pair of gym shoes I bought on my own ... white-on-white Mike's with the Carolina blue trim. I'll never forget 'em.

And it continues 'til today.

And while my bracket might not be the best, a part of me doesn't care. As long as North Carolina wins the title, I say to hell with my bracket.

1 comments:

Jeff Engelhardt said...

That makes sense I suppose, but the number one reason to like Carolina is they aren't Duke. It's as simple as that.