Chicago Announcers

Before I begin I'd like to say how much I hate Chicago Cubs announcer Len Kasper, or Kermit the Frog as I like to call him. He's the epitome of a homer and he's not funny about like Chicago White Sox broadcaster Kenneth the Hawk Harrelson. Hawk says things of the homer nature because they make him sound like an acutal fan, whereas Kasper seems to say things as so to not get fired and to kiss hiney.

I haven't had a chance to listen to much of the new D.J. Darren Jackson and Ed Farmer pairing but I liked what I heard so far on White Sox radio network. It seems like D.J. is finally able to let loose after being tied down by Hawk for so long and the results have been hilarious. I'm not sure if that's because it's spring training or he's finally able to open his mouth for more than a few seconds but I think it's hilarious.

I actually began to warm up to the tandem of Hawk and D.J. before they split up, with Steve Stone heading to the television booth and D.J. heading to radio. There were some uncomfortable times/exchanges between him and "farmio" but overall, I think the pairing should work out despite the fact the White Sox still don't have a true play-by-play guy.

Speaking of semi-new announcing teams, the Chicago Bulls shook things up before the season started ditching the bland Wayne Larrivee (a Green Bay guy anyway) and Tom Dore in favor of a combination of Neil Funk and Stacey King.

King's had some memorable one liners which I enjoy the most as a fan. My favorite so far was the line after Larry Hughes' last-second buzzer beater for the win.

"Warm up the busses!"

Not like that was some deep quote or anything but it was hilarious none the less.

That being said, I could do with someone different than Chuck Swirsky on the radio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

While Kasper The Frog reminds me of his distant cousin, Kermit, I think he's been quite critical of Cubs players *cough*KosukeFukudome*cough* and I respect that. His home run call (does he have one?) needs work.

As for King, he still can't believe what he just saw when Dwayne Wade hit that shot. Hey, Stacy, you've got a courtside seat, a replay monitor and a pair of eyes that work. Use them, please.

Anonymous said...

good point. but his home run call is just in the voice of kermit..

"High fly ballllll center feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeld BALLGAME OVERRRR"