It's getting a little Cub-centric in here, isn't it? I don't care. I find it necessary.
You know what else I find necessary? Good music to get pumped for the NLDS.
These are the songs I've adopted for the 2008 playoff run. I can guarantee you've never seen these on Jock Jams!
- Running Down A Dream, Tom Petty.
- The title is self explanatory. The lyrics speak for themselves. Check out the video. Pretty cool.
- I remember when Lou Piniella first said the words “Cubbie Swagger” and I thought to myself “what the f*ck does that mean?” Now, it looks like the Cubs actually do have some swag. And nothing says ‘swagger’ like a track that features T.I., Kanye West, Jay-Z and Lil’ Wayne: the four best rappers out there. The track is hot, what can I say?
- How can you not get pumped as soon as this song plays? I hear it and I either want to punch someone or I get really psyched. Or both. Maybe that would work for the Cubs. I know it worked for Big Z a few years back. In the end, it's Slim Shady's best work.
- Again, with Petty. Again, with lyrics that pull at the heart strings of Cubs fans. Again, retro video! This is my favorite Petty joint. Yes, I like it more than ‘Free Falling,’ a song that Cubs fans have been able to relate to for quite some time.
- Lupe’s got killer lyrics and the chorus (sung by Matthew Santos) is a perfect touch for that song. The message is simple, Cubbies: “If you are what you say you are/ A superstar/ Then have no fear/ The camera’s here.” Here's some love for my boy, Lu.
- It would have been easy to go with ‘Hard Knock Life,’ but the Cubs do have 99 problems. And a goat ain’t one, hit me!
- Another great lyricist makes an appearance, but again, the chorus should speak to the Cubs and their legions of fans: “I know I can/ Be what I wanna be/ If I work hard at it/ I’ll be where I wanna be.”
- This songs exemplifies the gloom and doom of Cubdom. It is, indeed, the final countdown. Are you ready? If you're not, get ready for another retro video!
- I was this close to picking ‘Jesus Walks,’ the thriller of a song that gets my blood pumping. But no track by Kan-yeezy exudes more confidence than the first single off his “Graduation” album. From the word go, ‘Ye is sick with the punchlines. A perfect song to boost anyone’s confidence.
- Did I mention that there was an African-American running for President? I just threw this track out there because it’s my favorite track and it is in heavy rotation in every playlist I have. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!