Obama throws down the gauntlet on Cubs fans. Hilarity ensues!

Courtesy of Awful Announcing, this is part of ESPN icon Stuart Scott's interview with Democratic Presidential hopeful, Barack Obama.

Scott: “If the Cubs and the White Sox both make it to the World Series?
Obama: “I would be going.”
Scott: “Who would you root for?
Obama: “Oh, that's easy. White Sox. I'm not one of these fair weather fans. You go to Wrigley Field, you have a beer, beautiful people up there. People aren't watching the game. It's not serious. White Sox, that's baseball. Southside.”


Oh, no he didn't!

First, I'd like to say at least he's not a fair weather fan. Fair weather fans (I'm talking to you John Cusak) can go off and suck a fat one...pick a team and stick with 'em, no matter what!

On to my rant...

I'm not mad that he's a White Sox fan, hell, we all make mistakes in life...but to throw out that generalization is out of line, especially for someone that wants to bring everyone together. That's just silly Barack, silly!

That's a petty argument Mr. Obama. Cubs fans aren't serious? Nothing is more serious than a fandom that constantly supports its team despite 100 years of suffering through crap with a few sprinkles of joy (1984, '89, '98, 2003, '07) in between.

Maybe it's easy to turn a blind eye when you're busy in Washington, D.C. and around the world an all. Oh, but I was wondering: when did this, this and this count towards "watching the game"?

[Ed. note: This #1 is Patty Biggio gettin' smacked during the World Series...classy. This #2 refers to a father/son duo jumping a fossil of a first base coach...trashy. This #3 is Sox fans jumping an umpire who happened to be an ex-Marine...stupid!)

Look, I can go on with this debate, but it's truly petty.

As for the fans Mr. Obama wants to call out...you know the Wrigleyville Trixie that skanks it up over at the Cubbie Bear. Or Douche McFrat with his popped collar and vocabulary that begins with the word "dude" and ends with "sweet." They give actual Cubs fans a bad name.

Those are the people who will read this and say "screw that dumb Sox fan, I'm voting McCain" and won't think twice about it.

As for me, I'll leave my preferred team out of this, since they sport the best record in baseball (81-50) and base my election choice on which candidate can find lower gas prices, provide a better educational system and understand the value of a high OBP in a lead-off man.

What? You gotta have something to base your choices on.

0 comments: