This is how I know it's opening day

Tony LaRussa #10
It's the first day of the new baseball season. As Luis said in an earlier post, it's a national holiday. Yet, there's another reason that I can already tell it's opening day.

I'm already complaining about decisions Tony La Russa is making.

The source of my early frustrations? Check out the lineup La Russa is putting on the field for opening day.

1. Brendan Ryan, 2B
2. Rick Ankiel, CF
3. Albert Pujols, 1B
4. Khalil Greene, SS
5. Ryan Ludwick, RF
6. Yadier Molina, C
7. Chris Duncan, LF
8. Brian Barden, 3B
9. Adam Wainwright, P

That's right, batting leadoff for the St. Louis Cardinals is the worst offensive player on our entire team. Words cannot describe how bad Brendan Ryan is. As I said in a post a few days ago, he doesn't even deserve to play on a major league team, better yet start at second base and hit leadoff.

I can understand not starting Skip Schumaker against a left handed pitcher. But, you don't start the worst player on the team because of that. If anything, Tony should have started Brian Barden at second base and gave David Freese the starting spot he earned during spring training at third.

Which brings me to my second disagreement. Why is Brian Barden starting at third base? David Freese played exceptionally well during spring training and he earned that job. Now, the season starts and all of a sudden Barden has the job. This makes no sense at all.

Another gripe I have with this lineup is the four and five spots. Last season, Ryan Ludwick was a National League All-Star. He protected Albert Pujols all season long and now he's batting fifth.

And even worse is that it's Khalil Greene who's batting fourth. This is the same Khalil Greene who was barely able to stay above the Mendoza line last season. Yes, he has played better during spring training, but this still does not earn him the right to hit fourth in the lineup.

My last complaint is something many people may not agree with. I used to dislike how La Russa hit the pitcher 8th with a "second leadoff guy" hitting ninth, but I've actually started to like the style. Now the season starts and La Russa decides to change it on us? Come on Tony, give us some consistency!

0 comments: