No Doubt In Detroit: North Carolina Wins

Since I picked North Carolina in the beginning of the year and in my bracket, I win the ultimate bracket prize, right?

I came into Monday's game expecting a close game from Michigan State. ESPN told me to forget about the Tar Heels' 35-point drubbing from earlier in the season because the Spartans were a different team. MSU came into the national title game with the momentum of knocking off two No. 1 seeds and the top two teams from the Big East. Not to mention the "home court advantage" of playing in Detroit at Ford Field.

So maybe it was fitting Sparty came out and laid an egg between the 35-yard lines. Maybe it was fitting that it happened in Detroit, where things have been sputtering of late. Maybe it was fitting that college kids that skipped out on the mega-millions that come with NBA contracts actually achieved their goals.

But let's be honest, UNC won't likely repeat next season. Tyler Hansbrough and Danny Green are gone for sure. Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington will likely be gone.

Ed Davis' return is questionable, but if teamed with Deon Thompson could create a formidable front court with Tyler Zeller coming off the bench. But what Carolina has in strength, it loses in speed and shot-making. Thankfully for North Carolina, it is coached by Roy Williams. All that means a new class of stellar recruits is lurking somewhere.

But that can wait for another day.

This year was full of disappointments for the school I will soon call my alma mater ... but for the school that could have been, they were able to give me what I missed out on this year.

0 comments: